Sunday, September 21, 2008

Be careful what you steal off of the stovetop!




So this morning I am cruising the countertop to see what goodies I might steal, when I came across this ziplock bag containing what I knew to be something with CHEESE! Man do I love cheese! Anyway, I should have known my dad was behind this creation, because as soon as I tore through the bag, there mixed in the wonderful aroma of CHEESE was ......jalapenos! It is way to much trouble to nibble around the little green pockets of fire so I just let it be. Trust me, I found out the hard way that ....jalapenos will lead to frequent and fiery trips to "the box". In case you want to create this masterpiece like my dad, here is the recipe:


Use your favorite cornbread recipe and a cast iron skillet too.

Put 1/4 cup of either shortening or lard in the skillet and put in 450 degree oven.

Mix up your cornbread recipe and my dad adds 1 tablespoon of tabasco mayo along with the beaten egg. Then add chopped ...jalapenos to suit, 1 can of whole kernel corn. Stir it all up.

Take out the HOT skillet and pour half of the grease in the mix and stir in. Pour half of the batter in the skillet and STOP. Sprinkle 2 cups of shredded CHEDDAR cheese on top of existing batter and then add the remaining batter on top of the CHEESE. Cook about 25 min and remove when the top is golden brown. Let sit in skillet 15 min before removing. DO NOT WASH THE CAST IRON SKILLET YOU SILLY HUMANS! wipe it clean with a paper towel.

1 comment:

jillbuker said...

Thanks Elmer....if you were to happen to get a taste of this, don't veer too far away from the "box"

I had to stick close to home today.